Covid Rental Relief
CA COVID-19 Rent Relief provides financial assistance to income-qualified tenants experiencing housing instability.
- The program provides rent reimbursement to landlords for unpaid rent accrued between April 1, 2020 and March31, 2021.
- Landlords are eligible to receive 80% of unpaid rent, as long as they agree to waive the remaining 20% of unpaid rent.
- Eligible tenants whose landlords don’t participate in the program can still receive 25% of unpaid rent accrued between April 1, 2020, and March 31, 2021.
- Paying the 25% of past due rent by June 30, 2021 can help keep you in your home under the extended eviction protections provided in SB91.
- Eligible tenants can also receive future rent assistance equal to 25% of their monthly rent.
- Verify eligibility and apply starting March 15, 2021 at HousingIsKey.com.
Qualification Criteria: Relief provided to both eligible landlords and tenants
- Landlords who have one or more eligible tenants who have unpaid rent accrued from April 1, 2020 through March 31, 2021.
- Tenants who are at or below 80% of the Area Median Income, who have incurred a financial hardship due to COVID-19 and are experiencing housing instability.
- If eligible, either a landlord or a tenant can initiate the application process.
- Applicants will not be asked about their citizenship, nor will they be required to show proof of citizenship.
- The CA COVID-19 Rent Relief program is available to all eligible applicants starting Monday, March 15<x-apple-data-detectors://
24/>, however applications submitted from households at the greatest risk of eviction will be prioritized first.
o Greatest risk of eviction is understood based on a tenant’s ability to pay the minimum 25% rent owed, the household’s AMI, and if the household is located in an area disproportionately impacted by Covid-19.